VR Project Development and Testing

As we slowly moved away from the more narrative aspects of the project and more into the immersive/ performative sides of it, we considered changing the the materials we were using. While shapes can be abstract, we did consider that they would only be on a flat surface and might not take up enough of the space inside the dome to create a truly immersive experience. We also did consider that the dome we had planned might move around too much and be too shaky in-between shots. So we thought about focusing more on what we found most interesting in our idea: texture, enclosure and being watched.

Last term for my Tate project, I used oil on glass stop-motion to create a dynamic background for my film. I loved using that technique and I did want another chance to explore it further, as I was relatively limited last time to make sure the background doesn't overpower the rest. So we came up with the idea to use a clear enclosure, inside which we would place the 360 camera, and we would paint the outside as stop-motion. I thought of using a display box I had from a previous project. The flat walls and corners of the cube are perfect to explore the idea of being trapped and watched, and to explore where the fourth wall is in a VR space.

As we had three one-minute sound art pieces, we thought of making three films using different techniques: time-lapse, stop-motion and live film. The three films will have different abstract narratives, and the first of them would be a sort of behind the scenes film of us painting the box, watching from the inside as large creatures in masks and cloaks paint the transparent box surrounding you. The sound for this film is like rhythmic wind, and we thought of speeding it up and slowing down the image periodically. Then the second film, the centerpiece of the project, would be filmed in stop-motion, and is inspired by a sound art piece of running water and echoing voices. We will paint the box blue and emulate drops of water, later maybe putting our hands on it. The final film's sound is more chaotic, so we thought of responding to it in real time, using more colours,

banging against the walls etc.

We tested out setup and lighting, and thought about making the bottom surface a mirror, to make it feel like you're floating inside the space and to make the top layer more easily visible. We also spent some time testing out editing and exporting VR video as we had no prior experience with the medium.


Bibie Wataniyakun

Ashiela Amara

#virtualreality #VR #personalproject #development #animationtechniques

Featured Posts
Recent Posts
Search By Tags
No tags yet.
Follow Us
  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Twitter Basic Square
  • Google+ Basic Square